Monday, May 23, 2011

WARNER BROS.' EMMY WASTE

Warner Bros.' Waste Sprawled Across My Kitchen Floor
I usually use my social media platforms to tout good things, but I've got to call out this environmental and economic abomination: as a voting member of the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences I get "For Your Consideration" DVDs to enable me to vote for the TV shows that I think deserve Emmys.  The packages vary in complexity and production values, but all are about housing and wrapping the DVDs - albeit with some convincing info. This yearly ritual is part of the inner workings of Hollywood.


In today's mail, I got a big box (with another box inside that one) from Warner Bros. with seven - one for each show - four-foot-tall posters, each with complicated DVD pockets and all bound together into a big unfolding calendar. Opened up, it was 7+ feet long. This was the most unwieldy, unusable and biggest waste of money, paper, postage, gas (transport), time and mindshare in recent Academy history. 


Which execs approved this during a widespread recession and in an era of taking responsibility for our environmental footprint? Big Bang, Harry's Law, The Mentalist, et al got noticed all right, but not how Warner Bros. wanted.  


If Hollywood's got that much money to burn, just send the DVDs and donate all the rest to Feeding America: Hunger-Relief Charity | FeedingAmerica.org or some other deserving cause. 

No comments:

Post a Comment